Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Thistle House

Last week presented another first for me. I've slept in all the dorms, as well as spent time in a almost all of the faculty houses and apartments. But after over 10 years of being a part of the St. Margaret's community, I got to spend the night in the Thistle House. The alumnae house is across the street from campus and is open to all alums visiting the school. 


The Thistle is a beautiful old house, as are most SMS houses. It has some quirky features and classic structure. As part of my alumnae presidency, I have some ideas to make this house warmer and more welcoming, a place where alums are happy to visit. It's the perfect blank canvas.





Every class gets a class compilation, framing our senior portraits. I read that there should always be a portrait hanging, if only just to never feel alone. These classes of girls gave me some pretty awesome company when the house randomly settles.

Girls in White Dresses at Mayball.


It would take a bit of rearranging, but I would love to have a nice bookcase with all of the books published by alums. I'd also request a much bigger TV that actually works.



All the rooms have twin beds. There is also a nice-sized dining room, a small kitchen and 2.5 baths. Most of the house has been decorated with furniture that has been given or left to the school.  

 What would you do with a house like this? 

No comments:

Post a Comment