Friday, September 27, 2013

Refinishing

This specific bedroom set is very important to me. I spent a good-sized pile of $$ to fly to VA, drive it down to Atlanta, and pick up a ton of refinishing products from Home Depot to make sure it never gets into this condition again. 

The furniture was actually my great-grandmother's. It was given to her for her wedding.  The last time it was used, it was in my father's house when I was in 2nd grade. It has been through a hurricane, basement flooding, multiple moves, and now it has a permanent home in my blue guest room.



Initial Sand Down



Love these little wood details.
Continental Furniture Company from High Point, North Carolina.
This company was founded in 1901-2, and High Point was one of the main hubs for the furniture industry in the South.


Primer stage

First coat of Black High-Gloss

Not a bad clean up. I experimented with the nightstand, using semi-gloss instead.

Refinishing the dresser is my project for this week/weekend. We've ordered new veneer for the top and sides, and I've already done an initial sanding. Once the veneer is affixed, it's ready to prime and paint. Sadly the hand-painted flower detail will not be staying. 

The individual drawer fronts will also be refinished, as well as sanded down to alleviate any warped or swollen wood. The last two drawers took a good pry to get out, even though the drawer boxes are in fantastic shape.

The top hutch will be repainted, and actually has spindles that need to be reattached. They hold a face mirror above the dresser, which is in very good condition. 

Stripping the dresser.

No comments:

Post a Comment